If you are having an issue with your ebike, but do not know exactly what is going on, this guide will help match your ailment to which section to head to remedy your issue!
My brakes are making a constant dragging noise
My brakes have a periodic scraping/pinging noise, but it is not constant
My brakes are making a lot of noise while braking
- Resurface Brake Pads and Rotors
- It may also be possible the brake pads have been used all the way, which would also cause noise/grinding feeling. If that is the case, then Brake Pad Install will be the section needed.
- It may also be possible there is a brake fluid leak which has contaminated the brake pads and rotors. If this is the case, a new brake system would be recommended.
My brakes feel like they do not have much power or I have to pull far to have them stop
- Brake Bleed
- Brake Pad Install
- Your brake may also be leaking fluid, which usually indicates a broken seal in the braking system. If there appears to be liquid all over your brake caliper. Pads, and rotor, then this is more than likely a leaking brake. Replacing the braking system would be recommended in this scenario.
My chain is skipping
- Shifting Adjustment
- It may also be possible the chain is stretched, so you should also check that out, which is described at the bottom of our general eBike repair and maintenance section.
Bike will not shift into a specific gear
Chain keeps throwing off of the cassette or chainring
- Shifting Adjustment
- It may also be components are worn, so you should check that out, which is described at the bottom of our general eBike repair and maintenance section.
Chain Is Stuck
- Depending how stuck the wheel is, you may have to remove the rear wheel to get the chain unstuck. Once the chain is unstuck, do a Shifting Adjustment to set the limit screws so the chain does not go into these positions anymore.
For all electrical problems and troubleshooting, please check out our Electrical System Guide, as it will walk through all of the various issues your ebike can have and what can be causing them.
Everything DIY E-Bike Repairs
- eBike Specs and Walkthrough
- Tower eBike Serial Numbers
- Recommended Tools eBike Repairs at Home
- eBike Operation Guide
- Initial Build of a Tower eBike
- Tower eBike Torque Specs
- eBike Care and Maintenance
- Quick Reference eBike Repair Guide
- eBike Hydraulic Brake System Introduction
- How to Adjust an eBike's Hydraulic Brakes
- How to True an eBike Rotor
- E-Bike Brake Rotor Install
- Brake Pad Install for E-Bikes
- How to Resurface eBike Brake Pads and Rotors
- How to Bleed Hydraulic Brakes on an eBike
- How to Clean Your eBike Drivetrain
- Shifting Adjustment on an E-Bike
- Electric Bike Shifter Cable Install
- How to Install a New Chain on an eBike
- E-Bike Derailleur Installation
- Replace the Shifter on an E-Bike
- Replace an Electric Bike Cassette
- Crankset Install on an E-Bike
- E-Bike Derailleur Hanger Adjustment
- Installing Pedals on an Electric Bike
- Flat Tire Repair on an Electric Bike
- New Tire Install on an Electric Bike
- Rear Wheel (with Hub Motor) Removal Guide
- How to True E-Bike Wheels
- Electric Bike Spoke Replacement
- E-Bike Electrical System Overview
- Intro to Electrical Troubleshooting an eBike
- Methods of Electrical Troubleshooting an eBike
- Electric Bike Error Codes
- Electric Bike Battery Services
- Electric Bike Motor Issues
- E-Bike Will Not Power On
- Troubleshooting Pedal Assist on an E-Bike
- No Throttle Power eBike Troubleshooting
- E-Bike Does Not Pedal Assist or Throttle
- Intermittent Power Loss While Riding an eBike